Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pumpkin Butter Recipe

Even though it's still in the 90's in Atlanta, I'm so excited about fall. This summer has been brutal and it's the first year I've really tried to limit my sun exposure. I'm looking forward to cooler weather where I can cover up and the skinny chicks near me will have to cover up too.

I found some Peach Butter and Pumpkin Butter at my local farmer's market. While I was in there I Googled some recipes and grabbed the ingredients to make my own pumpkin butter. There are several markets around that sell local produce but there is one that's probably the size of a Super Wal-Mart with nothing but food. It's a great place to buy produce, cheeses, and there's an enormous meat counter if you're into that kind of thing. I found canned organic there as well as some of the bulk spices I'd need for the recipe. I'll just hang onto the jar of pumpkin butter I picked up for when I run out of the homemade goodness.

If you have a farmer's market or any market that sells bulk, you should take a few extra minutes to peruse the spice aisle. I've found spices for a fraction of the cost of the grocery stores. You can see some of the prices in my picture below. Granted, I don't know what I'll do with a half pound of ground cloves. For $2, I can think of something.

Yesterday I attempted my first batch of homemade pumpkin butter. I can tell this is something I'll make again this fall. By last night I had already gifted two jars of it. I used my big Williams-Sonoma Spoonula for this job and it worked perfectly. By using the spoonula and the slow cooker, it was a fairly small kitchen production. I love one pot masterpieces! I also recipes for stove top that takes about 30-45 minutes. I may try that next time. I'm also going to try making a similar version with orange zest. I'll let you know.

Pumpkin Butter



  • 3 Cans of Pumpkin Puree...not Pumpkin Pie filling. The filling already has spices and other stuff added. I used organic.
  • 1 cup of brown sugar, firmly packed. (Option: Use 1/2 cup of maple syrup and a 1/2 cup of brown sugar.)
  • 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg. 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • A big pinch of salt
  • A big pinch or 1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger
  • A big pinch or 1/8 teaspoon of allspice
Stir all of the ingredients into a slow cooker set on low heat. Because you are cooking it down you'll abandon the rule of leaving the lid alone. Stir at least once every 30 minutes to an hour the first 4 hours. The last 2 hours, leave the lid 1/4 to 1/2 off and stir every 20 minutes or so. It's important to keep the sides scraped down to prevent burning. By stirring so often you'll keep it reducing instead of allowing the top to dry and it to stay too wet underneath. Total cook time in slow cooker: 6 hours. 

I found these cute Ball jars in Target. It filled all 4 and I had enough left over to fill a small Rubbermaid container. I like the jars for sharing. I may transfer one to another Rubbermaid for freezing. I'll hang onto the jars for when I try to learn to can.





No comments:

Post a Comment