Thursday, September 15, 2011

It's a Good Day for a Hot Sandwich

Temperatures are still in the upper 80's but I've been jonesin' for a hot sandwich. Not being a meat eater I am usually limited to some sort of grilled veggie sandwich or grilled cheese. Those are great but I wanted something different and unlike what I'm stuck ordering when I go out for sandwiches.

It just so happened that I picked up a wonderful Hot Green Tomato Relish by Slice of Georgia last week. They had a booth set up in the Artists Market at Atlantic Station where they were offering samples and selling jars of jellies, jams, salsas, pie fillings, pickles and relishes. I picked up jars of the Hot Green Tomato Relish, the Green Tomato Relish (mild) and a jar of Peach Salsa.

The Hot Green Tomato Relish is really unlike anything I've tried on the market. I thought the milder version tasted almost like a Chow-Chow. It's packed with flavor and I can't wait to try it on other foods. When I tried the hot relish on a chip at their booth it started off a bit sweet and flavorful but the heat really sneaks up on you at the end. I used about 2 tablespoons on my sandwich and it wasn't too spicy at all. This really goes well on a sandwich and I didn't get that spice shock when I tasted it alone.



Tofurkey and Tomato Relish Sandwich

  • Hoagie Roll, cut in half and pick some of the bread from the center
  • 2 slices of smoked provolone cheese
  • 1/2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1 tsp Olive Oil
  • Slice of Georgia Hot Green Tomato Relish
  • 5-10 Smoked Tofurkey slices
Cut the roll in half and pick some of the bread from the center to give you more room for filling. I mixed up a little Cabernet Sauvinon vinegar that I had on hand with olive oil and drizzled it over the insides of the bread. Add your sliced cheese, the your relish and put the Tofurkey on last. 

Close your sandwich and wrap it in foil. Put it on middle rack and heat at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.

Here's the link for Slice of Georgia and a listing of upcoming festival and event appearances. They also have a Pdf catalog here. I'm hoping to catch them at another festival to pick up some of their vidalia onion products and dips for use around the holidays. I thought it would be a nice treat to serve out of town folks and I may even do a goodie bag for some hostess gifts for holiday parties. 


No comments:

Post a Comment