Friday, July 13, 2012

Salad a la Tater

I had some potatoes left over from when I should have roasted them up for my husband. I decided to boil them up so I could make a potato salad. I'm such a rebel. An hour ago I wasn't going to blog tonight or make potato salad. It was just too good not to share.


I make potato salad differently every time I make it. I spurn the zillions of recipes and just go with what I have...if I have potatoes. I like this combination of ingredients so I took notes.


Here you have it...




I don't have the photography skills to make potato salad look yummy. You'll just need to trust me. 


Salad a la Tater


2 1/2-3 lbs of small red potatoes
2 eggs
2 tsp salt


3/4 c of mayonnaise
1/8 c  Deli Mustard with Horseradish or more to taste (I use the Publix brand. Use less of any gourmet brand as they're a little heavier on the horseradish.)
3 tbsp Hot Green Tomato Relish or other zesty relish along with a good splash of juice
3 Green Onions, sliced thin
2 tbsp Capers
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt or more to taste
1/2 tsp Fine Ground Pepper or more to taste
1/2 tsp Dill Weed, dry
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Celery Seed


Add the potatoes with skins on and the eggs to cold water and 2 tbsp of free flowing salt (the cheap stuff). Heat over Medium High heat for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and plop the eggs in a dish of ice water to avoid burning your fingers later. Put your potatoes into a wide bowl. Use a potato masher to break up the potatoes.


Chop up the eggs and green onions and add them to the potatoes along with the mayo, mustard, O/V,  spices, capers and relish. 
Before stirring. I ended up adding a little more relish.


Give it a good stir and add additional seasoning to taste. If it's too dry you can add more olive oil or mayo. Chill.


Add to a pretty bowl and add just a touch of paprika on the top before serving.


Tips: 


I love using the Hot Green Tomato Relish I got from Slice of Georgia. I picked it up at a booth they had during a local farmer's market. It's spicy and has a touch of sweetness without the generic bread and butter pickle relish taste. I think I'll try it with a Chow Chow next time.


Potatoes, eggs and green onions were the only fresh foods in this salad. Everything else came from the spice rack or the refrigerator door. 








No comments:

Post a Comment