Sunday, July 15, 2012

Crime Scene Martini Recipe (True Blood Viewing Party)

When the second season of True Blood premiered I had a viewing party with a few friends. I served Shrimp Gumbo, Red Velvet Cupcakes and Crime Scene Martinis. 


Crime Scene Martini with hot pickled okra on wooden stakes.

Since then we've evolved the menu a bit but the Crime Scene Martinis are a crowd favorite. 

The hot pickled okra on wooden stakes added a little southern flair with a nod to True Blood. (It also gave me a chance to use up the bamboo skewers floating around my junk drawer.) 


Crime Scene Martini


8 oz Vodka
1-2 oz Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix to taste + 1 Tbsp reserved for glass rim
Pickled Okra or olives for garnish
Splash of Hot Pickled Okra Juice to dirty it up
Pinch of FINELY ground Black Pepper (optional)
Ice
Salt Free Cajun Seasoning (optional)


Makes 4 martinis


Optional Glass preparation:


Pour 1 tbsp of Cajun Seasoning on a paper towel and spread in a thin layer with your hand.


Pour 1 tbsp Bloody Mary mixer into a saucer and move the saucer around to distribute the liquid.


Dip rim of Martini glass in mixer and then into cajun seasoning mix to rim glasses


In a martini shaker: 


Mix vodka, Bloody Mary mix pepper and pickled okra (or olive juice) in a martini shaker with ice. Add a dash of hot sauce or additional pepper to taste.


Shake well.


Strain ice and pour into prepared martini glasses


Garnish with pieces of hot picked okra on wooden bamboo stakes (skewers).




Tips:


I added the Cajun Seasoning to the rim and the okra garnish to keep with the Cajun theme of our menu. You can omit these and go with traditional celery and olives if you prefer.


I use the regular Zing Zang brand of Bloody Mary mixer for this recipe and if needed I'll add finely ground black pepper and a dash of hot sauce for extra flavor. It's usually plenty spicy. I think the Extra Spicy mixers are too gritty for a martini and I'm not motivated enough to run it through a strainer. If you add anything to this make sure it doesn't make the martini too gritty and chunky. (Some brands of Bloody Mary mixer are down right twiggy...as in I was spitting out bits of leaves and stems. Bleh!) My bartender friends swear by Zing Zang and I know why. 





Most Cajun Seasonings have LOTS of salt. I found a salt free one and I'm loving it. Between the salt in the mixer and the added juice from the pickled okra it has plenty of salt. Resist the urge to rim your glasses with anything containing salt. It's also why I don't rim the glasses with lime but use a bit of the mixer or water.









To make one martini, use a shot and a half of vodka, just a splash of the Bloody Mary Mix, and a small splash of the olive or okra juice.


This is a great drink option for Halloween parties too.





I can't wait for tonight! 












No comments:

Post a Comment