Thursday, July 5, 2012

Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower with Lemon and Capers

I picked up a package of pre-cut broccoli and cauliflower today. 


Why? 


I was feeling rebellious. 


It's usually the most over-cooked and least desirable vegetable combination. I thought I'd try to jazz it up a bit. It's not like I could screw it up more than countless restaurants serving it as a side dish.  Not only is it super good for you, it's cheap and holds up well in the fridge. I really want to like it and restaurants have really ruined it for me. 


This had a lot of flavor and the lemon and capers added a lot of brightness. Yay, me.






Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower


1 Package of Raw Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
2 Tsp Capers
Salt and Pepper


Break any over-sized florets in half to get everything close to a uniform size. Toss vegetables with olive oil, fresh cracked pepper and a pinch of salt. Toss onto roasting pan and roast at 375 for about 25 minutes. Add the capers, stir and return to the oven for 5 more minutes. You want to see some browning on a few of the veggie edges. If it gets to brown it gets dry and bitter so be careful not to overcook.


Transfer to a bowl, add the lemon juice and zest of 1/2 lemon and toss. Taste and add more salt as needed. The capers and lemon add a lot of flavor so salt sparingly when you mix it together. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the top and serve. 


Voila!


Super easy. 









I'
ve seen Harry's Farmer's Market featured on cooking shows filmed around Atlanta but I've never been. This morning I was running a relative to the burbs and I couldn't resist stopping for some goodies.


Interesting fact: Harry's Farmers Market is actually a Whole Foods. Weird, no? I didn't realize it until I walked inside. Sadly, unlike the Whole Foods near me this one does not allow you to walk around drinking a beer. Darn suburbs. It was also 11am so we'll let it slide.


No comments:

Post a Comment