Saturday, October 27, 2012

Favorite Fall Foods + Bleu Cheese = Bestest Fall Foods

I love pumpkin pie and a good pumpkin cheese cake. I like pumpkin muffins and pumpkin cookies. I really really love a pumpkin black bean soup my friend Mel introduced me to. She found it on Rachel Ray's "30 Minute Meal" recipes on the Food Network site. 

Here it is. Until I made it I had never tried a savory pumpkin recipe. It has become a comfort food staple in my house. I encourage you to give it a go. I really like that it's fast and easy. Love that Rachel chick.

I tried something new with the recipe today. I'm so glad I did because it really cranks up the flavor.

I added a big teaspoonful of bleu cheese crumbles to the top of my soup and zapped it for a few seconds in the microwave. Oh...wow.

Let's back up.

Last year I was determined to like sweet potatoes. I decided I wouldn't turn down a single sample of sweet potatoes and I would try it prepared in as many ways as I could.

I hated all of them. 

Why do people add marshmallows to a vegetable? Bleck!

And maple syrup or brown sugar? 

It was just too sweet. 

And nasty.

So I started tossing some toppings on my sweet potatoes and I found that a little bit of butter, bleu cheese crumbles and salt and pepper work really well together. I also like the Morning Star faux bacon crumbled on top.

It seems I like my sweeter vegetables balanced out with more savory toppings.

I may start adding bleu cheese crumbles to everything.

I'll save the marshmallows for my hot cocoa. 




No comments:

Post a Comment