Friday, June 29, 2012

Infusing Rum with Mango

It's so stinking hot today (105 degrees) and I have some mango rum waiting for me to finish this post. 


California Pizza Kitchen (CPK) has a wonderful Mango Mango Mojito. I often find myself sliding up to the bar while waiting to pick up my to-go order. For my birthday I decided to treat my girl friends to some mango mojitos while we were relaxing up in the North Georgia Wine Country. You can buy mango rum but this was lots more fun.


This was a HUGE jar. Any mason jar will also work that holds the quantity of the bottle plus room for the mango slices.

Infused Mango Rum


1 bottle of decent quality rum


1 jar of sliced mangoes in light syrup




Go to your local adult beverage retailer and get a decent bottle of rum. I'm not a big rum drinker so I went with Bacardi. It's a good and moderately priced rum. 


Go to your local grocery store and pick up a jar of mango slices in light syrup. I got mine from the refrigerated section at Publix. If you can't find the jars just grab a can or two from the canned fruit aisle.


(I really hate peeling mangoes.)


Using a fork, remove about 1/2 of the mangoes from the jar and place in a mason jar or other large mouth jar.


Pour about 1 cup of the light syrup into the jar


Pour the entire bottle of rum into the jar, reserving the bottle to refill once the infusion has been made.


Screw on the lid.


Put it in your pantry or another cool and dark spot in your home.


Every few days go and give it a good swirl to get everything moving around. No need to shake it...just annoy it a little.


After two weeks give your rum a try. Or do what I did and just let it infuse for 3 weeks and throw caution to the wind.


Fish your mango slices out of the jar with a fork.


Pour your mango infusion back into the original rum bottle or use a nice flip cap bottle if you have one. Use it to make mango mojitos on smoldering summer days.


Save the rummed up mango slices and muddle those with your mint in your mango mojitos. They're also nice chopped into big chunks and served very cold with toothpicks for a grown up snack.


Tonight I'm taking some to my neighbors' house and we're going to make mango pina coladas. We're just going to mix some mango infused rum with one of the freezer section Bacardi Pina Colada Mixers. Tonight the blender will be the only one working.






No comments:

Post a Comment