Thursday, June 28, 2012

Homemade BBQ Hot Sauce

I made this finishing sauce to go on the BBQ pork shoulder that's currently cooking up for my husband. This is my version of the sauce you might find on the table at BBQ restaurants for dripping onto your pulled pork. I spent time in North and South Carolina so I used ketchup, mustard and vinegar. Don't judge!


BBQ Finishing Sauce


1/2 c Ketchup
1/2 c Apple Cider Vinegar
1/3 c Yellow Mustard
1 c Water
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Powdered Mustard
1 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
1 tsp Ancho Chili Powder
1 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Paprika
2 tbsp Dried Onion Flakes


Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan and whisk it together. Turn the sauce pan to medium low heat and let it go for 10-15 minutes without boiling just to get it hot and the flavors working. If you like more heat, add more red pepper or chipotle powder. Let it completely cool. Transfer it to a recycled hot sauce bottle or to a plastic condiment squirt bottle using a spout. Park it in the fridge for at least two days. Add a few tablespoons of water and give it a shake if you'd like it thinner. 


It's fun making your own hot sauces! I loved playing with all the peppers and spices in my cabinet. I'm already thinking about what else I can put this on and which sauce will be next.

No comments:

Post a Comment