Sunday, July 22, 2012

Housewife Approved: In Your Face

My husband is taking the Bar exam in three days. I could set myself on fire atop the dining room table and he probably wouldn't notice unless his backpack of books went up in flames with me. 


I'm not complaining. *snort*


Really.


I'm running to the Interwebz for the closest thing I'll have to a conversation without calling someone or leaving the house. Do dogs count?


Moving on...


I wanted to share some things that I'm loving...


When I was working a gazillion hours a week I bought an insane amount of makeup and skin products. If I needed a touch-up and didn't have some stashed in my desk I'd stop and pick up something else. Sometimes I bought makeup or skin care products because I needed a pick-me-up. Because nothing improves your day like feeling prettier than you did when it started. Am I wrong?


Now that I am a housewife and funds don't magically appear in the bank account I've stopped buying stuff willy-nilly and spending too much. Man, I spent BANK on girly stuff! Now I seem to focus my attention on what works instead of labels, reviews in fashion magazines (I read books now) and the search for the perfect shade. I've also matured (or stop giving a crap) and if you see me without makeup...I don't care.


These are my list of must haves. If I run out I will replace it with the exact same item. 


California Tan's Total Immersion

  • Extends, enhances and complete your tan with Step 3 daily moisturizer
  • Smooth, revitalize, and hold on to color with Vitatan® 2000
  • Bathe skin in intense hydration and tan-darkening benefits with Crimson Sea Copper
  • Boost anti-aging action and revive skin after UV exposure with Deep Sea Blend


This stuff has all the best perks of a facial moisturizer without the $80 a jar price tag. I have dry skin and my goal is to not look like the Crypt Keeper when I'm 50. I use it morning and night and it works just fine under my foundation. It's actually made as an after tanning lotion. I don't tan. I can't speak to the post tanning benefits but it's an incredible facial moisturizer and I actually prefer it over the highfalutin jar of wasted cash. Oh, did I mention it's a 16oz bottle? 10% of the price of the cosmetic counter stuff and you get 10x's as much. I win!


You can buy it online for less than $9 a bottle or you can try your luck at stores that sell indoor tanning products. Most tanning salons have it but their markup is criminal. If you can't find it anywhere just look in the suntan lotion section of your local discount store. Banana Boat, Hawaiian Tropic, Panama Joe and just about every other sun screen brand has an after-sun moisturizer. I've used several on my face over the years and the Total Immersion is my favorite.




Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

For dry, sensitive skin, Cetaphil® Moisturizing Cream is a non-greasy cream formula that is excellent for the hands, feet, elbows and knees — anywhere that requires intensive moisturizing. It is also appropriate for facial use and is fragrance-free. For over 20 years, dermatologists have been recommending Cetaphil® Moisturizing Cream to help alleviate symptoms of mild to severe dry skin, as well as symptoms of dry skin associated with conditions like eczema and psoriasis.

This is my serious face cream for serious dry skin days. I use this most of the winter and when my face just hates me. It's thick in a Crisco sort of way. Cetaphil is great for sensitive skin so if this is too think and heavy you can go with one of their lotions...


If you never have to worry about looking like this when your 50...


Talk about motivation!


Did I mention I have dry skin? I've had maybe ten pimples in my entire life and I'm pretty sure those were hormone related.


It comes in a 16oz tub and I've also seen a 3oz travel size. It's a body cream and I keep one tub next to the sink for dry hands. The jar is about $10-$11 and can be found in most discount stores and pharmacies in the lotion section...usually with the less popular, non-sparkly and non-firming business. I got mine here. Don't you just love Target?






Yes to Blueberries


Finally, a beauty product from the beauty section! I like to keep makeup removal clothes handy for when I need to remove makeup (duh!) and I'm away from my shower and all my face cleansers or just too beat to shower before bed. I've tried a few different brands of makeup remover towels over the years that were irritating but I tolerated them for the convenience. I usually hated the smell, they made my eyes burn or made my skin too dry. 


These 'Brightening Facial Towelettes' are formulated with Blueberries and Coconuts to gently cleanse, remove makeup, and moisturize skin all in one. With Lemon Peel and Apple to help brighten skin, these are a great addition to our Age Refresh collection. They leave your skin feeling clean and glowy! 

Available for online purchase in US only.
  • 99% Natural
  • Biodegradable & FSC Certified
  • Dermatologically & Opthalmologically Tested
  • Oil-free, non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic



Yes to Blueberries Pre-Mositened Towelettes run about $8 and can be found in most stores these days. I got mine from Target. Their website sort of reminds me of a farmers market...one of my favorite places. They have options for sensitive skin (cucumbers), acne prone skin (tomato) and nourishing (carrots). 


I love the pre-moistened ones and always keep some in my makeup kit which I've discussed at length here.


Carmex


There is just no substitute for Carmex. I probably have ten jars scattered around my house at any given time. This does not include the two or three jars that live in my handbag and backpack. I also have one with "NOSE" written all over that I keep in the medicine cabinet for when my nose gets raw and chapped.


I love the tubs. I can set one in the drink holder of the car and I never have to worry about it melting and leaking out all over the place. (Don't attempt running through the dryer...at least it's loud so you can yank it out quickly.) I don't like the tubes or the sticks for that same reason. I hate all things lip gloss and anything sticky. This is waxy perfection. 


I apply it several times a day and almost always apply some under my lipstick. You can find the original formula just about everywhere. The website shows some tinted varieties that I haven't seen in the stores but I'm anxious to give them a try.

The tub of the Cherry is hard to find and if you can find it let me know. The last time I found it I bought every one on the shelf. It's my unicorn.



ACTIVE INGREDIENTS

  • Camphor alleviates pain
  • Menthol kills germs and relieves discomfort
  • Phenol gently numbs your sore lips and removes old, dead skin

OTHER INGREDIENTS

  • beeswax, cetyl esters, flavor, fragrance, lanolin, paraffin, petrolatum, salicylic acid and theobroma cacao(cocoa) seed butter.





Chanel Iminitable Mascara


If I could only buy one thing from a department store makeup counter for the rest of my life it would be Chanel's Iminitable Mascara. At least something came from my willy-nilly makeup buying...


I discovered this magic.


I wear glasses and if I overdo it on the application my short, stubby, mousy brown lashes actually touch the inside of my eyeglass lenses.


Crazy, right?


Another reason why I love it...It doesn't flake and end up all over my cheeks like most other brands.


Waterproof mascara usually irritates my eyes so I haven't bought it in years. I can't speak to how the waterproof compares. I use the regular mascara (non-waterproof) with the gold band. There's another formula with the silver band and I wasn't as happy with it. Lucky for me, the Chanel counter exchanged it for the gold band goods and all is well. 

In a single stroke, this mascara delivers it all: volume, length, curl and precise separation. A sophisticated formula and unique brush design combine to deliver lush, long-wearing colour so precisely that each lash, even the finest, is perfectly defined and separated. Pro-Vitamin B5 hydrates and conditions lashes to keep them supple and healthy-looking.


$30 a tube may seem like a lot but in this instance it really is a case of 'you get what you pay for'. It's worth it. It will change your life. I also love the applicator. Those applicators must be one of the ways cheaper brands stay cheaper. The Chanel applicator is much more gentle and I don't feel like I'm brushing my eyelashes with brillo pads.


Merle Norman's Matte Oil-Free Moisturizer

Wait? What. Oil-free? Yep, even girls with dry skin can get a little shine going. Powder has a tendency to settle in my fine lines and makes them a lot more obvious. I can't keep adding powder to control the shine without having a mess on my hands. (See Crypt Keeper image above.) The Matte Oil-Free Moisturizer seems to just suck up any excess oil. I just need to dab a drop or two on the problem area and the shine disappears. I've tried it over makeup and it works just fine.

For Normal to Oily skin types. 
Welcome matte! This lightweight, hydrating lotion contains advanced microspheres that absorb oil throughout the day. Combined with optical diffusers, it also helps minimize the appearance of pores, leaving skin soft and smooth with a fresh, matte finish. Fragrance-free. Oil-free. Non-comedogenic. 

This stuff is very similar to the Shine Control Hydrator (discontinued) that Merle Norman used to carry. 


This is something you may want to look into if you worry about getting shiny or if you have oily skin or combination skin. 


Merle Norman is not as mainstream and top-of-mind as the mall cosmetic counter but their products are top notch. It's very similar to Lancome in quality while being less expensive on many items. Their stores are usually locally owned and operated so you can also feel good about shopping within your community. Other bonus: It's an American company and their products are made in the USA. Other Merle Norman products I like: Fine Line Minimizer, Micro-Refiner Face Scrub (Hub's loves it too), Sheer Defense Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15,  makeup brushes (quality is as good as my MAC brushes).


The Matte Oil-Free Conditioner cost $30. It will last me for years. Since this is a fairly new formula you might be able to pick up a sample. I shop at a Merle Norman Gold Medallion studio and they will almost always give you a sample size to take for a spin. They seem to have sample sizes for most of their liquid products.


I hope my list of favorites gave you some ideas. I'm always open to suggestions so please share some of your must-haves.


Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment