Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book Swaps and Urban Swap Meets

Two blogs in two days. Dang. I'm practically loitering on the internet.

I'm trying to organize a swap meet for exchanging books with neighbors in my condo community.


While I donate to the Salvation Army and Goodwill frequently, it requires effort and planning. Books are heavy suckers and the thought of hauling them is exhausting.

Living in a dense urban area is great, but taking things to a charity is problematic. I don't know a single person with a pick-up truck so everything needs to fit into my car and that may mean multiple trips. That's after I've hauled everything to the car in the parking garage. With urban living you need to get creative when it comes to getting rid of stuff. Yard sales aren't an option when you're living in a condo or high-rise. In addition to it being against the rules, there's just no parking. Since square footage is a premium we all seem to have stuff to get rid of because there isn't much storage.

I approached the HOA of our condo about reserving the club house and hosting a book swap between residents. This idea is still floating around my head and the details need some fine tuning, but this is what I have so far...


  1. Bring your unwanted books to the designated location between 6p and 7pm. The sale starts at 7pm.
  2. Exchange your books for paperback or hardback book tickets, one ticket per book.
  3. Look through the books and select some based on the tickets available. 
  4. Go home with some new books!
  5. All remaining books will be donated to charity after the sale
Honestly, I would gladly give five or even ten books to come out with one I've not read. 

If this swap works out between residents I am hopeful we can arrange for future Swap Meets for other categories. I know I need to get a handle on my collection of books, DVD's, home decor, glassware and holiday decorations/ornaments. 



We have too many DVD's too. I think I'll go through and pick out my must
haves and set the rest aside for the next event.





1 comment:

  1. I have a copy of "Pump Up the Volume" I am thinking of getting rid of too! Watched it for the first time in decades and enjoyed it, but not sure I'm going to watch it again. If you were closer I'd happily take some DVDs off your hands. Not that *I* need more "stuff" either.

    ReplyDelete