Tuesday, January 22, 2013

COT...Halfway through

Update: Taking a printer/scanner was a very good call. At one point the copier was out of paper and it saved him (and some flight mates) some headaches. We packed the printer/scanner, new cartridges and a pack of paper for COT/JASOC. I think I'll take another pack of paper for JASOC, just to be safe.

I finally got to see the hubs. On the computer. Today is the halfway point for COT and we were finally able to video chat. I realize people have been doing this for years without the benefit of frequent emails or the occasional cell phone call. It makes me appreciate the connectivity we have these days. 

Streaming isn't allowed on the Maxwell supplied Wi-fi but we got a thingie from Virgin Mobile so he can have his own Internet access. I'm not sure of the data plan but it's very similar to Clear, which wasn't available in Montgomery as of Dec. 2012. He can connect multiple computers and Virgin Mobile offers it month to month so we can cancel once he's finished at Maxwell. We'll probably keep it until we finish the move to allow for any gaps in Internet service at the new base.  There isn't a Virgin Mobile store in ATL but he was able to order it and set it up online before he left. Thank goodness. 

The connection is a little slow and we had to reconnect twice but it was so nice to see his face. 

I'm so happy he has the Internet connection. 

Facetime wouldn't work without the web connection on his iPhone and we didn't have everything set up. We used Google Plus and were able to "Hangout" using the connection on his laptop through the Virgin Mobile device. I've had a Google Plus account since the invitations first went out but this is the first time I've actually used it. I used my iPad but I will charge my Netbook for the next video chat. It was hard to hold the iPad and lift dogs into the frame.

The dogs were very excited to see their daddy. 

Now maybe they will stop being spiteful jerks. They've had some potty training setbacks since the hubs left for Maxwell. It isn't like they're having accidents. They're really going out of their way to show how much they disapprove of the hubs being gone. Two pairs of shoes won't make the move. The shoes were already in a pile to be donated so it wasn't as if they killed my best work shoes. I just made sure the shoes went into the dumpster. You're welcome, Goodwill.

The first week Hubs was gone the dogs seemed miffed but not really devastated. After week one, all of that changed. Week two brought some behavior problems and they slept on his side of the bed...

All day.

There was lots of moping.

I think that they think that I ran him off or made him move out. They were probably fine for the first week because we've traveled and had to be apart for about that time. I think they started getting nervous after the first week when he didn't come back with a suitcase of dirty laundry for them to nap in.

This week they've started running to the door around 5pm-6pm. That was the time he used to come home. They also seem to bark at noises outside more frequently. 

Sometimes they get silly when I mention the word "Daddy".

Zoe is nine years old and no spring chicken. She doesn't really run and prance but she did today. All I said was "Daddy".



And then she took a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment